Saturday, November 29, 2008

Job Searching and such...

I'll be job searching in the Spring. So once again, you will all get the chance to follow me along the ups and downs of the job search.

When I finished my job search after graduate school, I thought the worst was over. I thought any job search after this would be much easier. Now, as I'm actually facing another job search, I'm not so sure. I'm still here on a temporary work visa...so once again, I'll have to look for employers who will be able and willing to sponsor me for an H1B visa. I will have to tell my current employer whether or not I'm coming back for next year prior to having found a new job...I could initially tell them that I'm a "maybe" but they will want to hire new staff during their first round of searching and who knows how long it'll take me to find a job. So once again, I'm having those nightmares of not finding a job and then being forced to leave the country and who knows what will happen then...

Right now, I just try not to think about it too much. There isn't much I can do at this point of the year anyway. I've registered for ACPA Placement. I glanced over the few jobs that have been posted already - there was one in California that I sounded really interesting but when I called their Human Resources Department they told me that they wouldn't be able to sponsor me for a visa...so cross that one of the list. I guess I just have to give up on that dream of California one day.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Maybe that's something I should try and figure out. I'm considering anything in ResLife, Student Leadership, Orientation and Student Activities. Within ResLife, I could see myself doing a hall director type job again - if it has some interesting and unique aspect to it. I could see myself living in for another two or three years...that'll be it though. I mean I love working in Residence Life but it would be cool to eventually have my own place, maybe even be able to put a nail in the wall or not be woken up in the middle of the night by drunk residents coming back to the building. Okay, I got sidetracked...so, yes, I could see myself doing the hall director thing again but then I could also see myself moving up a little, maybe specializing in living learning communities or advising RHA and NRHH or maybe a job similar to a coordinator or something like that. Who knows.

Some people are trying to get me to figure out what I want to do. I'm not sure if I want to/need to. I mean, can't I just wait and see what's out there? Apply for a bunch of random jobs and just see where I end up.

Oh, this entry made me think about job searching again...AHHHH!!! Before I get stressed out, I'll stop and go to bed. :)

No comments: