Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I want to tell you you're beautiful...

This isn't going to be a very long entry because I really need to go to bed (I have a meeting in 4 hours), but I wanted to share a few things with all of you:

1) Don't get too used to me posting on a daily basis. I wish I had time and the energy to write every night, but I know once the craziness of second semester hits me (and you know there'll be craziness...hopefully craziness in a positive sense though), I'll get distracted again and will forget about this blog. I hope though I'll be a little more consistent in my posting...wouldn't that be nice?

2) Thanks to everyone who commented on my last few blogs. It's just nice to know that a) people are reading my blog and are interested in my experiences and b) that even though I don't know who you are and you don't know who I am, I have some support out there.

3) I still don't know what to say when people ask me how I am. I feel like saying, "I'm fine" would be a lie but when I say, "I'm okay," I get these weird looks. And maybe I am fine...I don't even know.

4) On a happier note, I've successfully managed to complete distract myself and stop myself from thinking about what has happened by throwing myself head over heels into my newest project, this Invisible Children Challenge. My RA and I sat down today and did some serious brainstorming and then immediately went into the action phase. We now have an updated Web site and a Facebook group. We've created an e-mail address, so that both of us can have access to this e-mail and answer questions or use it to contact people. We've also started sending out e-mails - to Residence Life staff members, students who expressed interest in Invisible Children after seeing the Invisible Children clip during the Tunnel of Oppression, and students who signed-up at showings in various halls. All together, I e-mailed probably about 200 people today.
My biggest worries right now are finding a location that works for the event and getting funding.
My goal is to get at least 20 teams and to raise at least $2,000. Both of those goals should be feasible; yes, I even think we should be able to do much better than that. But I wanted to set low goals, so that we could accomplish them - both my RA and I are overachievers...so reaching our goals "too easily" won't be a problem because we'll immediately come up with even higher goals for us. But I wouldn't want us to get discouraged because we weren't even able to reach our initial goal. Does that make sense?

5) I just realized that in two days I'll be (probably around this early morning hour) starting my trip back home to Austria. This just seems so surreal to me. I haven't packed or even really thought about it yet. I can't believe it's coming up so soon!!!

6) I've gotten an unusual amount of phone calls today - mostly from staff members. And whenever my phone would ring (I have discovered this Web site where you can turn any mp3 music file into a ringtone...you can even pick which part of the song you want), I heard JP sing, "I want to tell you you're beautiful and kiss you, so you can't say a thing." No wonder I had a better day. That just has to make you smile! ;)

No comments: