Thursday, April 16, 2009

The interview - Part 1

I got in my car to drive to Wal-mart (I don't like Wal-mart...I definitely don't want to support Wal-mart...but when you live in a small college town, you don't have many other options for some quick shopping). I noticed the motor sounded funny. I turned down the music. Yes, this definitely didn't sound normal. I pull over. What was wrong? Oh, the cap to my gas tank was open. Strange! I hadn't gotten gas in at least two or three weeks; there's no way it could have been open for that long without me noticing. And it's not like it just opens by itself.
I closed it and got back in my car. Was the weird sound still there? I couldn't really tell. I made it to Wal-mart and back, parked my car and went back to my apartment.

That night, I packed for my on-campus interview. I tried to pack light, after all I was going for only one and half days. But - with different shoes and interview outfits - it wasn't an easy task. Finally, I had everything and it was time to go to bed.

The next morning, I got up early. I showered, straightened my hair, threw a few more things in my suitcase. It was early, so I took my time, played around on the computer. Finally I got my stuff and walked out to the parking lot. I got in my car, turned the key and...
The motor started but it sounded really strange. Then it died. Various warning lights came on. AHHHH!!! Okay, let's not panic. I took a deep breath, turned the key again - same thing. Oh man, what am I gonna do? I looked at the time. I had about an hour and a half before I had to be at the airport - it takes an hour to get there. What could I do? There was no way I could get AAA to come and look at my car in time - and them fixing it in time - no way. Who could I call? I hate calling people. I hate having to ask for favors. I started dialing numbers.... The first few people weren't there. Then, one of my colleagues picked up. I felt horrible having to ask him, but what else could I do?

I just made it to the airport. I was trying to concentrate on the upcoming interview and forget about my car. But how could I not think about it? What could be wrong with it? I remembered that the cap for the gas tank had been open. Could someone have poured something in my gas tank? That would be so mean! But then, I couldn't think of any other explanation. And why else would the gas tank be open???

No comments: