Sunday, May 17, 2009

Summer Residents and Packing

My building is being used as the summer residence hall; any students living here over the summer are staying here. I'm not the staff member responsible for it - hey, my contracted ended two days ago - so I have absolutely nothing to do with all this, but oh man, it's ANNOYING! I enjoyed having the building to myself. The quiet, the peacefulness. Being able to walk out your door and not run into any students. Being able to blast your music whenever you feel like it. Running down the hall in your pajamas taking out the trash. There's so many things I could do and now....

I just took a quick nap and woke up to loud - no, VERY loud talking in the hallway. They better cut that out in the evenings when I'm trying to go to bed.

It's just weird. It doesn't feel like the building is "mine" anymore. One of my colleagues has taken over my office. She's great and she's been trying to stay out of my way and keep others away from me as much as possible. But it's still strange to hear someone in the office - especially since it's attached to my apartment. I always walked in through that door; now I have to go around.

I'm more and more ready to get out of here. If these things would just pack themselves. Why do I have so much stuff???? I've been pretty good about throwing things away - well, relatively good. There's a few things I just can't part with: a copy of every newspaper from my days as editor at the student newspaper at my undergrad, the beautifully organized articles and notes from graduate school (I haven't looked at them once since I graduated...okay, not true, I did use one article once and I just looked through all of them again now, but still... worth it? I don't know), tons of pictures, stuffed animals, my collection of books (mostly series so there's always at least five or more), all my art supplies and and and. I tried to pack in a way that would make "sense" - to make unpacking easier but also to ensure that none of the boxes were too heavy (why did I get such big boxes?). It's not really working. Now I'm down to the odds and ends in most of the rooms; things that I just don't know what to do with or that are no fun sorting through/organizing. So I'm procrastinating.

But I got some new motivation this weekend: I went to a concert of a friend's band - and he joked about how I should come to another concert next Saturday. The concert is - wait for it - 11 1/2 hours away. And yes, I'm seriously considering going. I thought about stopping by a friend's place that's half-way, maybe catch one or two concerts on the way (I mean, the band's kinda going in the same direction I would...just with a few detours). But I'd probably have to leave on Tuesday.

I don't have to check out of my apartment until May 31st, but if I leave for a week or so, I'd probably want to have the majority packed, so I can come back, spend a few nights, get some good rest and take a few long showers, and then hit the road. So this is now my motivation to continue packing....

No comments: