Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring Break

Hello everyone,

We now have Spring Break but "overachiever me" is not relaxing at home or at least focusing on job searching; no, I had to organize this alternative spring break trip for my residents. We're in Fort Walton Beach, FL and it's been a good trip but somehow I'm having a hard time really getting into it. I'm fine when I'm on the construction site (today was our first day there) and am busy doing things - but when we're hanging out in the evenings (well, really just yesterday and today), I am grumpy - wishing I was either with friends or alone doing something productive.

I'm starting to freak out a little about job searching. I don't have a single interview set up yet. I've only applied for three positions so far. What am I thinking??? I really need to get on the ball with this but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to accomplish this week. Take today as an example: We were at the construction site, we got back, a couple of us went for a run, then I took a shower and only now have I turned on my laptop to do some work. And of course there's e-mails to check and respond to and all these other things I would much rather do. I also have a headache and am just tired. Not good!

The students I'm on the trip with are really nice but there isn't anyone that I would usually hang out with. So whenever I have a conversation, they're either very student-hall director focused or are job-related (with the two grads that are here). Nobody to get excited with me about news regarding my favorite band; nobody to talk to about the crazy things I've done this semester or those that are coming up.

I'm also spending most of my time thinking about the Invisible Children Benefits Concert we're hosting next week. There's so much work that still needs to get done and me not being in Oxford right now is just not convenient. We need more donations, need to contact newspapers and radio stations (in hope that one of them will cover this event, and get promotional materials out. I just really hope this event turns out alright.

Wow, I almost fell asleep just now. I could feel my eyes closing and had to force myself to open them again. This is not good! Maybe I'll run to the store really quickly, take care of all the shopping and grab some food on the way - and then really focus on job searching later this evening.

Wish me luck!!!

PS: I think I should be freaking out...and part of me is...but overall, I'm really not. I'm feeling pretty apathetic toward this whole job search drama, which probably isn't a good attitude to have. What do you think?

No comments: