Monday, March 2, 2009

Ups and downs...

It's been an interesting few days - yes, since Thursday when I last rambled on about my life on this blog. It feels like it's been much longer than a few days.

The resident situations continued to keep me on my feet. My supervisor must be sick of all the e-mails she's been getting from me; I've tried to label them clearly as there's several situations going on at the same time; each just as concerning and frustrating and impossible to resolve easily.

I should be preparing for our alternative spring break trip to Florida with Habitat for Humanity. We're leaving in 5 days. I have the vans reserved - I just need to get all the drivers to sign the form for driving. I have most of the forms from our residents - of course not all of them though. I don't know yet what types of reflection activities we'll be doing; I'm sure I can wing those though...or come up with something once I get to Florida.
There should be 20 of us going. We've had a lot of problems with people dropping out; surprisingly enough a lot of my RAs did. Initially there were 9 of us who considered going. Now there's 1 RA, my graduate assistant and me. What happened, you ask. Needing to apply for summer internships and grad school, family problems, stress. All things I understand and emphasize with. But really?
I told myself last year that the only way I would do another alternative spring break trip was if I had more staff members going. Not that it's so much work, but it's nice to have a couple different staff members there who can facilitate reflection activities, organize some activities to do for residents when we're not at the construction site, etc. Even for things like communication between the different vans it's helpful to have a few more staff members.
I really didn't think it'd be a problem this year. I was so excited about going with all these staff members. Of course, I ran into problems - why would things ever be easy - this time it was because of getting funding for the staff members. We got funding for the students but not the staff. I fought for them; I tried to make it all work out. All for nothing!
Now I'm stuck 5 days before we're leaving and I don't even know if we can fill all the spots.

Maybe the lesson I should learn from this is that alternative spring break trips are always a lot of hassle and that I shouldn't try to organize one again. Hmmm, please remind me about that next year when I start thinking about Spring Break!!! You know, I could be visiting friends - I could be going to concerts - I could be sleeping in late and relaxing. But oh no, I always have to be such an overachiever. Haha.


Okay, enough whining about Spring Break. I called this entry "ups and downs" and so far I've only been talking about the "downs." I promise there'll be at least one "up," but before we get there, here's one more thing I have to share....

I got sick this weekend. I could barely get out of bed, had the worst headache ever, was coughing and sneezing and I felt like I was radiating heat. Not fun! And of course I couldn't get half the things done that I wanted to accomplish this weekend.

Okay, now to the "ups" (or at least the one "up" I can think of right now):
I finally got around to applying for a few jobs. I applied for three - two through the ACPA Placement site and one that a friend had forwarded me. Today, I've been checking my e-mail pathetically until I realized that there was no way any schools would be able to process my application so quickly and get back to me the day after I submitted it.

I really should be applying for a couple more schools, but hey, at least I started the process, right?

No comments: